Axiata Group Berhad President and Group CEO Re-elected as GSMA Board Member
Kuala Lumpur 16th December 2010, Axiata Group Berhad (Axiata) announced today the re-appointment of its President and Group CEO, Dato' Sri Jamaludin Ibrahim, as a board member of the GSMA, the organisation representing more than 800 of the world's mobile operators, as well as more than 200 companies in the broader mobile ecosystem.
Along with Dato' Sri Jamaludin's re-appointment the GSMA also announced its new Chairman for a two-year term, from January 2011 through December 2012, Franco Bernabè, Chief Executive Officer of Telecom Italia. Mr. Bernabè has served as CEO of Telecom Italia since December 2007. Jon Fredrik Baksaas, President and CEO, Telenor Group, was elected as Deputy Chairman.
Dato' Sri Jamaludin Ibrahim, President and Chief Executive Officer of Axiata said “I would like thank the GSMA board for this prestigious appointment; I am deeply honoured to have been elected once again. In addition, I would like to congratulate Franco on his well deserved and new post and all other board members for their appointments. I look forward to working closely with them”.
Dato' Sri Jamaludin will be part of a 26 member Board which includes CEOs from the world's leading mobile operator groups. The appointment, in this prestigious association which sets the direction for the industry as a whole, will allow Axiata to make a significant impact to the industry, given that the Group serves over 150 million subscribers in over 10 countries.
In addition to Mr. Bernabè, Mr. Baksaas and Rob Conway, CEO of the GSMA, the Board of the GSMA comprises:
- Alejandro Magaña Pérez, Vice President, International Relations, América Móvil
- William Hague, Executive Vice President - International, AT&T Mobility
- Jamaludin Ibrahim, Managing Director, President and Group CEO, Axiata Group Berhad
- Sanjay Kapoor, CEO, Bharti Airtel Ltd. (India and South Asia)
- Sha Yuejia, Executive Director and Vice President, China Mobile
- Lu Yimin, President and Vice Chairman, China Unicom
- Olivier Baujard, Chief Technology Officer, Deutsche Telekom
- Christian Salbaing, Deputy Chairman, Hutchison Whampoa Europe
- Hyun-Myung Pyo, President, Mobile Business Group and Member of Board of Directors, KT Corporation
- Alexander Popovskiy, CEO, MTS Russia Business Unit, OJSC Mobile TeleSystems
- Hannes Ametsreiter, CEO, Telekom Austria Group and A1 Telekom Austria
- Dr. Kiyoyuki Tsujimura, Senior Executive Vice President and Member of Board of Directors, NTT DOCOMO
- Anne Bouverot, Executive Vice President, Personal LoB and Group Devices, France Telecom-Orange
- Khaled Bichara, Group CEO, Orascom Telecom
- Dr. Nasser Marafih, Group CEO, Qtel
- Sung Min Ha, President, Mobile Network Operation Business Unit, SK Telecom
- Napoleon Nazareno, President and CEO, Smart Communications
- Tetsuzo Matsumoto, Senior Executive Vice President, SoftBank Mobile
- Anil Kumar Sardana, Managing Director, Tata Teleservices Limited
- Vivek Dev, Group Director of Global New Services, Telefónica
- Alexander Izosimov, President and CEO, VimpelCom Ltd.
- Richard J. Lynch, Executive Vice President and Chief Technology Officer, Verizon
- Steve Pusey, Chief Technology Officer, Vodafone
Axiata is one of the largest Asian telecommunication companies, focused on high growth low penetration emerging markets. Axiata has controlling interests in mobile operators in Malaysia, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Cambodia with significant strategic stakes in India, Singapore and Iran. India and Indonesia are amongst the fastest growing markets in the world. In addition, the Malaysian-grown holding company has stakes in non-mobile telecommunication operations in Thailand.
The Group's mobile subsidiaries and associates operate under the brand name ‘Celcom' in Malaysia, ‘XL' in Indonesia, ‘Dialog' in Sri Lanka, ‘Robi' in Bangladesh, ‘HELLO' in Cambodia, ‘Idea' in India, ‘M1' in Singapore and ‘MTCE' in Iran (Esfahan).
The Group's, including its subsidiaries and associates, has over 150 million mobile subscribers in Asia. The Group revenue for 2009 was RM13.1 billion. The Group provides employment to over 25,000 people across Asia. Axiata's vision is to be a regional champion by 2015 by piecing together the best throughout the region in connectivity, technology and talent, uniting them towards a single goal: Advancing Asia.
Axiata was awarded the Frost & Sullivan 2009 and 2010 Asia Pacific ICT Award for Best Telecom Group and the Telecom Asia Best Regional Mobile Group 2010 for its operations in multiple Asian markets.
For further information on Axiata visit www.axiata.com